What You’ll Learn from this Episode:
- Why it’s important to live in alignment with your true self in your career.
- How taking a break from your career to travel or do something else can actually be a viable option when you’re not content or excited about your job.
- How to you can actually feel powerful when you focus on a plan for what you’re creating, vs. focusing on how fearful you are.
- What it’s like to actually leave your job and take a 20 month break.
- How a family tragedy can impact your plans and push you to think through what you really need to do.
- How as much as you plan, it’s impossible to plan for everything; why understanding how you want to frame your experience is really what’s necessary.
- Why it’s critical to own the responsibility for what you want, on purpose.
Welcome to another episode of the Women in the Middle podcast!
Deciding to take a career break can be incredibly stressful. Today’s episode features another interview in the Getting Real with Women in the Middle Series.
My guest this week is Katrina McGhee and this is her story. Taking a break was nothing she ever imagined or planned, but the more she thought about it, the more it became obvious that it was the right path to take.
Katrina went from leaving two well-regarded careers to leap into the unknown and finally live and work in alignment with her true, authentic self. After several years of struggling with feeling uncomfortable in her careers, she came to the conclusion that she didn’t have fulfilling employment and definitely needed take a break.
Katrina shares how hard it can be to make a decision to take a break like this. When you’re up to your ears in a career funk, it’s not always easy to tell what’s going on. Is it that you’re actually unhappy or bored? Do you need a big change or just a shift or tweak? You probably don’t know and feel overwhelmed and confused.
Katrina’s story is all about one strategy to get yourself out of feeling trapped and stuck in your career. She knew something important was missing and that she could do more. She felt at risk for never being able to connect with what was really important to her and worried she would have regrets.
For Katrina, taking a break was the change that she needed to become fully aligned with who she really was, her real truth. She realized she had to stop making fear-based decisions. Gradually, the impossible became the possible. Could it be that making a big, bold move like this might be something for you to think about too?
Enjoy the interview!
Featured on the Show:
- Connect with Katrina: https://www.instagram.com/kmcgheecoaching/
Connect with Suzy:
- New Coaching Program: 50 Unplugged Mastermind: https://suzyrosenstein.com/50-unplugged-mastermind/ | www.talktosuzy.com
- Join my Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/WomenintheMiddlePodcastCommunity/
Talk to Suzy:
- Free Insight Session: https://suzyrosenstein.com/free-mini-insight-consult-session
- FREE ebook: 10 Surprising Ways to Bust Out of Your Midlife Funk: https://suzyrosenstein.com/midlifefunk/
- Email your feedback: firstname.lastname@example.org
Enjoy the Show?
- Don’t miss an episode, subscribe via iTunes, Stitcher , Spotify or RSS and all the places you listen to your favorite podcasts, including Spotify.
- Leave us a review in iTunes