What You’ll Learn from this Episode About Talking with My High School Friends and Turning 60 This Year:
- What it was like talking with my high school friends turning 60 this year, together in 2023.
- What it was like to grow up in the small town of Lansdale, Pennsylvania in Montgomery Township and go to North Penn High School (between 1979 – 1981).
- What exploring our town in the suburbs was like in the 70s, especially the importance of having a bike.
- What we did for fun back then, included going to the mall, Y dances, the Skate Ranch, the local pool, bowling, cruising on Friday nights down main street, the marching band, drama, etc.
- What concerts we fondly remember over the years, including David Bowie, Billy Joel, and Bruce Springsteen.
- What big experiences we’ve all had over the years, including international triathlons, white water rafting in the Grand Canyon, home births in the mountains, moving to different states, including arriving in a new town with no place to live, no bank account and no job and playing in piano bars.
- Why it’s important to remember that aging is a privilege and a gift, especially when turning 60.
- What it’s like to reflect on the challenges and loss in our lives as well as the joy and happiness.
- What we all did to celebrate turning 60.
- Why it’s important to remember that the only person who can make your dreams come true is you.
Welcome to another episode of the Women in the Middle Podcast
This episode is about turning 60 in 2023 and talking to and reminiscing with some high school friends about turning 60 this year, in 2023. I believe aging is a gift, and as it turns out, so do my friends from back home.
When I started thinking about all the fun ways I wanted to celebrate turning 60, I couldn’t stop thinking about how much fun it would be to have a conversation like this with old friends with shared experiences.
And reminisce we did! It was so much fun to talk about our memories (and correct each other when we didn’t quite remember things accurately) and really, come to the conclusion that our experience was really great.
Here are our graduation photos from 1981 (and this is mine!).
We grew up in Lansdale, Pennsylvania, which is in the suburbs of Philadelphia, and were proud to go to North Penn High School Here’s a bit about my friends.
Turning 60 as a shared experience with high school friends
Marjie turned 60 earlier this year. She has been married for 39 years and has two boys and a “daughter-in-love.” She has been in the insurance industry for 23 years, currently holding the position of Underwriting Specialist. Marjie moved to Lansdale in 1973 and has lived in Indiana, PA, Marietta, GA, Plantation, FL, and settled in Hatfield, PA in June of 2019.
Mari is also 60 and a widow with a grown stepson. She grew up in Wisconsin and moved with her family to Lansdale, PA for 9th-11th grade, and back to Wisconsin for her Senior year. After some adult years of living in WI and PA, she moved to Las Vegas, Nevada where she has lived for 30+ years. Mari worked in the mortgage industry for almost 40 years and joyfully retired at the end of 2022. She enjoys hanging with friends and her dog and cats, crocheting, playing piano, tending to her roses, and traveling to see family and friends. She believes strongly that retirement is the best and the time just flies!
Raina is also 60 but feels like she’s the new 40. Along with her husband of 35 years, they have raised five successful adult children (and by successful, she means off the bank of mom and dad). They live in the country and enjoy cycling, running, hiking, swimming, and spending time with family and the beach. After a 33-year career in the pharmaceutical industry, Raina retired and started her second career. She’s now a triathlete and competes nationally and internationally taking her to Dubai, Finland, and other cool parts of the world. When she’s not training, you can find her playing the flute, in her garden, reading, or spending time with her kitties.
We made sure to talk about our lives over the last few decades (the good, the bad, and the ugly) as well, what turning 60 means to us this year, and how we celebrated.
Aging is a gift
One message we all felt strongly about was definitely that AGING IS A GIFT. The bottom line is that life has so many highs and lows and it can be incredibly challenging, especially in midlife. Turning 60 is a privilege.
This episode will give you lots to think about. Please enjoy this episode.
North Penn High School: https://nphs.npenn.org/
North Penn Marching Knights: https://www.facebook.com/MarchingKnights/
Lansdale, PA: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lansdale,_Pennsylvania
Suzy’s first concert: David Bowie 1976
Podcast with the “6 in 60” idea: https://suzyrosenstein.com/podcast/ep-276-how-to-celebrate-honor-yourself-for-your-60th-birthday/
My 60th birthday present to myself: https://suzyrosenstein.com/podcast/ep-295-making-magic-in-midlife-hanging-out-with-gray-whales/
FREE BOOK: go to: https://suzyrosenstein.com/50waystocelebrate/ to get to the book page, and then use the coupon 2023bookgift when you check out (coupon good for July 2023)!
Connect with Suzy
NEW PODCAST: Women in the Middle® Entrepreneurs: Are you a 50+ woman business owner or entrepreneur who’s dealing with navigating classic midlife issues that are affecting the way you run your business? We’re looking to interview guests just like you from a wide variety of different businesses! Apply now: www.midlifeinterviews.com
Work With Me: The Women in the Middle® Academy (WITMA): WITMA is a signature six-month, online group coaching program and community for midlife women, that provides a roadmap to create a more fun, meaningful, and regret-free next chapter! Create a new Midlife Operating System™ that will support that way you grow forward to more freedom, peace, and balance. Head over to www.womeninthemiddleacademy.com and apply and book your free call we’ll see how I can help you find what’s missing so that you love your life after 50.
Apply for Private Coaching: Are you getting a lot from the concepts taught in the podcast? If you want more help, let’s talk. You can have in-depth personalized support! Apply for my personalized coaching program where we take all the things I teach and talk about here and apply them to YOU and your life. CLICK HERE TO APPLY.
Email your feedback: firstname.lastname@example.org
Enjoy the Show?
- Don’t miss an episode, subscribe via iTunes, Stitcher, or RSS and all the places you listen to your favorite podcasts, including Spotify.