What You’ll Learn from this Episode about Taking Care of You: Women’s Guide to Better Health with Dr. Mary O’Connor:
- Why the new book, Taking Care of You: The Empowered Woman’s Guide to Better Health is so important for women everywhere.
- How women can be better advocates for their own health.
- Why women’s health is more than “medicine of the bikini areas.”
- Why it’s important to appreciate that clinical conditions and diseases can often present differently with women than with men.
- How understanding what questions you can ask your physician can actually be important for your health.
- Why especially as a woman, it’s critical to believe that your health care provider is listening to you.
- Why it’s important to appreciate that being a woman in the sandwich generation means you’re also likely making most of the health decisions for younger and older people you love.
- How you can empower yourself with the Taking Care of You book because it can help you increase your general knowledge of 55 common clinical conditions and more.
- How you can use the book to know important questions to ask the healthcare team regarding common clinical conditions and the way they affect women’s health.
- How the “pearls of wisdom” sections in the book can also help you benefit from 111 contributors who are women physician specialists.
- Why the Taking Care of You book helps you be a better advocate for your own health and your loved one’s health.
Welcome to another episode of the Women in the Middle Podcast
Today’s episode is all about taking care of you; specifically, empowering and teaching women to take better care of themselves with an amazing new book called Taking Care of You: The Empowered Woman’s Guide to Better Health, by Mary I. O’Connor, M.D. & Kanwal L Haq, M.S.
My guest today is Dr. Mary O’Connor, one of the co-authors of Taking Care of You.
Mary I. O’Connor, MD is a nationally recognized leader in health equity and innovations in the delivery of musculoskeletal care. She is co-founder and Chief Medical Officer of Vori Health, a physician-led virtual musculoskeletal company on a mission to empower all humanity to better health. She is chair of the board of directors of Movement is Life, a nonprofit multi-stakeholder coalition committed to addressing musculoskeletal health disparities.
A past Olympian (US Women’s Rowing), she is passionate in her promotion of the power of movement to improve health.
Mary has long championed diversity and inclusion in orthopedics and has broken many barriers to women in the overwhelmingly male profession.
Her recent book Taking Care of You: The Empowered Woman’s Guide to Better Health (by Mayo Clinic Press), supports women advocating for their own equitable healthcare. A recipient of the Mayo Clinic Distinguished Clinician Award, she is a Professor Emerita of Orthopedic Surgery at Mayo Clinic and a past Professor of Orthopaedics and Rehabilitation at Yale School of Medicine.
In addition to Movement is Life, she serves on the board of directors of Vori Health and BONESUPPORT AB, a Scandinavian ortho-biologics company.
You’re going to get a lot from this interview. Please enjoy!
The information shared in this podcast is intended for your convenience, entertainment, and education and isn’t geared to your personal situation; it’s not a replacement for care or advice from your own medical professional. So as always, you may have some things you want to follow up on so please seek a suitable professional to advise you on your personal situation.
Featured in this Episode:
Ep 100: Midlife Reflections on Commitment: 100 Episodes: https://suzyrosenstein.com/ep-100-midlife-reflections-on-commitment-100-episodes/
Ep 200: Celebrating Friendships in Midlife: https://suzyrosenstein.com/ep-200-celebrating-friendships-in-midlife/
Connect with Dr. Mary O’Connor
Buy the book, Taking Care of You: The Empowered Women’s Guide to Better Health: https://www.takingcareofyoubook.com
Proceeds go to support education and research at Mayo Clinic. Taking Care of You is published by Mayo Clinic Press.
Connect with Suzy
NEW PODCAST: Women in the Middle® Entrepreneurs: Are you a 50+ woman business owner or entrepreneur who’s not quite where you want to be in business and/or your life? We’re looking for interview guests just like you from a wide variety of different businesses! Apply now: www.midlifeinterviews.com
The Women in the Middle® Academy (WITMA): WITMA is my signature six-month, online coaching program and community for midlife women, especially entrepreneurs, who know they’re meant for more, are ready to create a life and career on their own terms and become the happiest, most successful, free and fun version of themselves! This can be you! Don’t waste valuable time. Head over to www.womeninthemiddleacademy.com and apply and book your free call; it’s a fun, no-obligation “MOMENTUM CALL” and we’ll see how I can help you find what’s missing so that you love your life again.
Apply for Private Coaching: Are you getting a lot from the concepts taught in the podcast? If you want more help, let’s talk. You can have in-depth personalized support! Apply for my personalized coaching program where we take all the things I teach and talk about here and apply them to YOU and your life. CLICK HERE TO APPLY.
Email your feedback: email@example.com
Enjoy the Show?
- Don’t miss an episode, subscribe via iTunes, Stitcher, or RSS and all the places you listen to your favorite podcasts, including Spotify.