What You’ll Learn from this episode about how poker led to helping adult children with challenges with Barbara Decker:
- How poker eventually led to a career to help parents with adult children with challenges, especially with addiction and mental health.
- Why being a serial entrepreneur is full of clues and skill development that will likely continue to help you on your path forward.
- How awareness of co-dependency helps you with all kinds of relationships.
- How learning that your adult child has a serious challenge like a drug or alcohol problem can start a substantial personal development exploration.
- When you’re trying to help your adult children, but nothing you’re doing is helping; instead, it’s destroying you.
- How trying to understand how you can get to peace can change your life.
- Why it’s important to understand how the way we midlife parents think about smoking pot very differently than youth today.
- How working in personal development during a crisis can be the most rewarding work you ever do.
Welcome to another episode of the Women in the Middle Podcast
It’s funny to think of playing poker leading to an incredibly meaningful career in helping parents help their adult children with challenges, especially with addiction and mental health. When you’re a serial entrepreneur, you think about all kinds of things that you’re good at, including what’s going on at home. That’s what it was like for my guest today, who did lots of different jobs, and eventually ended up working to help parents develop skills to help their adult children with challenges.
Meet my guest today, Barbara Decker, an incredibly interesting seasoned entrepreneur who pivoted her way to her passion and an incredibly rewarding career path.
She sold real estate, became a real estate appraiser, became a professional poker player, and worked in IT. Yes, she did all of these things.
Barbara Decker is a Certified Family Recovery Specialist and the mom of a son now in long-term recovery.
Today, Barbara calls herself a Parent Recovery Advocate. When an adult son or daughter is using drugs or alcohol, has a mental disease, or is simply not adulting to his/her potential, moms tend to react with what she calls the “Mom Code”. Addiction and mental health challenges like these can be a struggle for decades.
Barbara helps moms shift to the more effective Love Another Way model and allow space in their lives for other things that they desire to do and which fill them up. She admits that she wouldn’t wish these kinds of challenges on anyone, but she sees that she wouldn’t have grown the way she has without them. She used her strengths that she didn’t really understand and it served her well.
You’re going to get so much from meeting Barbara in this episode. Enjoy!
NOTE: The information shared in this podcast is intended for your convenience, entertainment, and education and isn’t geared to your personal situation; So as always, you may have some things you want to follow up on so please seek a suitable professional to advise you on your personal situation.
Connect with Barbara Decker
Barbara’s Workshop: Free, private & confidential workshop for parents of addicts: Step by Step, a plan for helping your son or daughter, overcoming any shame or guilt you might feel and finally reclaiming your life
Barbara’s Website: https://livewellandfully.com/
Featured in this Episode:
You can always google “suicide prevention” to get local resources.
In the USA: The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is now: 988 Suicide and Crisis Lifeline. The phone number is these three digits: 988In Canada: Talk Suicide CAD: 1.833.456.4566
Barbara’s Mentor: Experience Product Masterclass & Start with You with Marisa Murgatroyd
Connect with Suzy
NEW PODCAST: Women in the Middle® Entrepreneurs: Are you a 50+ woman business owner or entrepreneur who’s not quite where you want to be in business and/or your life? We’re looking for interview guests just like you from a wide variety of different businesses! Apply now: www.midlifeinterviews.com
The Women in the Middle® Academy (WITMA): WITMA is my signature six-month, online coaching program and community for midlife women who know they’re meant for more and are ready to create a life and career on their own terms and become the happiest, most free and fun version of themselves! This can be you! Don’t waste another second feeling stuck. Head over to www.womeninthemiddleacademy.com and apply and book your free call; it’s a fun, no-obligation “MOMENTUM CALL” and we’ll see how I can help you find what’s missing so that you love your life again.
Apply for Private Coaching: Are you getting a lot from the concepts taught in the podcast? If you want more help, let’s talk. You can have in-depth personalized support! Apply for my personalized coaching program where we take all the things I teach and talk about here and apply them to YOU and your life. CLICK HERE TO APPLY.
Email your feedback: email@example.com
Enjoy the Show?
- Don’t miss an episode, subscribe via iTunes, Stitcher, or RSS and all the places you listen to your favorite podcasts, including Spotify.