What You’ll Learn from this Episode:
- Why memorabilia and memories from the past are important to you.
- Why decluttering can be difficult when it comes to parting with family memorabilia.
- How using the “thought model” can help you gain perspective about what your things mean to you.
- Why you care about things that are also turning 50.
- Why TV shows from your childhood, like The Brady Bunch, can mean a lot to you.
- Why being nostalgic is a bit different from being sentimental.
- How asking questions about what old things mean to you can help you decide what you want more of in your life going forward.
Welcome to another episode of the Women in the Middle podcast!
Midlife memories can mean so much to you as you age. Some memories fade; others get stronger. All memories can really make you think.
As a women in the middle, you’ve been around for more than a few decades and have built up lots of meaningful memories. Sometimes there are visual reminders of your past that you actually have in your home. You may have memorabilia of some sort from your childhood that you’ve decided to keep for one reason or another.
The “Thought Model” helps you understand what you make these items from your past mean. What you make an item like this mean is what creates your emotions related to it, not the “item” itself. Once you understand all of this, it makes it much easier to make decisions about what to keep and what not to keep.
Similarly, it’s always fun to see what events and things are turning 50 in any given year. These are things and events that are “turning 50,” or in other words, have been around for 50 years. In midlife, you’ve grown up with them, or, with memories of them. Several of these things and events are discussed in this episode:
- The first manned moon landing
- Monty Python’s Flying Circus
- The Brady Bunch TV Show
- Tic Tacs – Mints
- Sesame Street TV Show
- The GAP
- America’s first automatic teller machine (ATM)
You may have memories about these events and things from your childhood that will give you some sense of what they mean to you. The Brady Bunch, for example, meant a lot to me!
As a midlife women, it’s not surprising that you probably think fondly about memorabilia and events like this from the past. Some thoughts and feelings are more useful to you than others. It’s important to really think about what’s important to you and how it makes you feel. This awareness will help you decide what you want less of in your life, and also what you want more of, on purpose.
Don’t miss this episode!
Featured on the Show:
- What’s in Suzy’s Closet?: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLFRD_SelmTbjCqdfASB7Choe2nsKzdmwa
- A Very Brady Renovation: https://www.hgtv.com/shows/hgtv-news/the-brady-bunch-house-before-the-hgtv-renovation-pictures?soc=instalike
- Episode 2, Women in the Middle: The Model: Your Mindfulness Framework: https://suzyrosenstein.com/podcast/the-model/
Connect with Suzy:
- Join my FREE Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/WomenintheMiddleCommunity/
- APPLY and book a free 10 minute call: www.talktosuzy.com
- Download your FREE ebook: 10 Surprising Ways to Bust Out of Your Midlife Funk https://suzyrosenstein.com/midlifefunk/
- Email your feedback: email@example.com
Enjoy the Show?
- Don’t miss an episode, subscribe via iTunes, Stitcher , Spotify or RSS and all the places you listen to your favorite podcasts, including Spotify.
- Leave us a review in iTunes