What You’ll Learn from this Episode about How to Find Joy in Midlife when You Quit Your Job without a Plan with Rose Schmidt:
- How to find joy in midlife when you quit your job without a plan.
- How a wake up call can really push you forward when you’re hesitant about change.
- How losing loved ones can shake you up and help you think about what you really want in life.
- What it was like to think about leaving a 25 year job only 5 years from pension and retirement.
- Why being at a “good job” too long can make you feel stagnant and unfulfilled.
- What Rose’s phase of “searching” and thinking “who am I” actually looked like.
- How looking at your finances and exploring possible lifestyle sacrifices can actually open doors.
- Why exploring and thinking about what you want can be enhanced by the lack of a deadline.
- How reflecting on your childhood can shed light on what can bring you joy.
- What Rose finally realized was missing from her life.
- How Rose found her way to significant fulfillment and joy by working on environmental issues, climate change and climate solutions.
Welcome to another episode of the Women in the Middle podcast!
This week’s Getting Real with Women in the Woman interview features Rose Schmidt, someone who quit her job in midlife without a solid plan for how to make a living. She totally did something scary and is here to tell you all about how she did it and what she learned.
Rose lives in Ontario, Canada. She had a pretty big wake up call after some pretty significant loss. As a result, she knew she just couldn’t stay in career she had for 25 years.
Rose went from being a employed Psychology Associate in a stable job long term job with a nice retirement package to actually quitting her job only five years from being able to collect her pension to explore who she was.
Rose shares what it was like to make this big, life changing decision and actually figure out who she wanted to be. She needed to overcome her fear of going forward without being employed or having a specific, detailed plan of what to do next.
She finally had time to pursue things she forgot how much she loved. As Rose became less fearful, she gradually let her need for creativity and helping people guide her, and her life has changed dramatically and in ways she never imagined.
Rose’s experience after quitting her job is really about how important it is to be open to opportunities and possibilities rather than being stopped by fear. She has a deepened appreciation for how community can become critical to you in terms of being connected to other like-minded people. She also shares how saying “yes” way more often than you want to can change everything for you when you know you’re ready for change. I can’t wait for you to hear her story!
Don’t miss this episode!
Featured on the show:
- Read Rose Schmidt’s book, The Wayfaring Swan: https://www.amazon.ca/Wayfaring-Swan-Rose-Schmidt-ebook/dp/B01EI63IFA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1535635809&sr=8-1&keywords=the+wayfaring+swan
- Connect with Rose Schmidt on Instagram: @riderwhowrites; instagram.com/riderwhowrites
- Learn about University of Guelph Cannon:https://www.uoguelph.ca/campus/map/cannon/
- Read Paul Hawken’s book, Drawdown: The Most Comprehensive Plan Ever Proposed to Reverse Global Warming: https://www.amazon.ca/Drawdown-Comprehensive-Proposed-Reverse-Warming/dp/0143130447/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1535582168&sr=8-1&keywords=drawdown
- Follow Rose Schmidt’s Blog: riderwhowrites.wordpress.com
Coach with Suzy:
- Join my Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/WomenintheMiddlePodcastCommunity/
- Talk to Suzy: Free Insight Session: https://suzyrosenstein.com/free-mini-insight-consult-session
- Ready to stop spinning and wasting valuable time? Get unstuck, get clear and finally feel free to love your life after 50! Join us! Head over to www.womeninthemiddleacademy.com
- Join Suzy’s FREE Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/WomenintheMiddlePodcastCommunity
- Download Suzy’s FREE guide: Top 10 Questions to Reimagine your Life after 50: https://suzyrosenstein.com/10questions/
Enjoy the Show?
- Don’t miss an episode, subscribe via iTunes, Stitcher , Spotify or RSS and all the places you listen to your favorite podcasts, including Spotify.
- Leave us a review in iTunes