What You’ll Learn from this Episode:
- What it’s like when kids go in and out of the nest for years
- How, even with adult children, the unexpected will happen, for sure
- How difficult it can be when a pet dies when your kid is away at college or university
- How your thoughts can block you from good communication
- Why it’s important to think about “empty nest” as a phase
- How being fascinated with your child’s behavior can make life less aggravating
Welcome to another episode of the Women in the Middle podcast!
This week, I want to talk to you about a common midlife experience, the adjustments that you have to continue to have to make as you deal with the whole empty nest thing. This episode is all about really pushing yourself to communicate and manage your emotions better so you are a happier and less aggravated midlife mom.
Just because your kids are older, it doesn’t mean all problems are easier to deal with. In fact, there are lots of surprises still to come. It’s a time of unexpected surprises.
Your empty nest really is a phase. It’s not something that happens immediately, especially with a few kids. Your adult children will probably come and go over the years as they grow up and gradually become more and more independent.
Things can get interesting along the way. Sometimes they leave pets at home, like lizards, for example, and sometimes those pets die while your kids are living out of town. Not an easy one to deal with. All of the communication issues that come up along the way can be tricky too.
Mindfulness strategies are the key to happiness. It’s crucial to key into your thoughts and feelings when it comes to parenting adult kids. The transition from pre-empty nest – to partially empty nest – to changing empty nest – to truly empty nest takes years so you have time to see what you’re thinking and to decide if you like the way it feels. How exciting! There are lots of tips to make this easier for you to manage. Don’t miss this episode!
Featured on the Show:
- Suzy’s Empty Nest Blog: Lizard love, older sons and me: https://suzyrosenstein.com/blog/lizard-love-older-sons-and-me/
- Learn more about coaching with Suzy! Here’s how to book your Free Insight Session: https://suzyrosenstein.com/free-mini-insight-consult-session
- Free eBook: 10 Surprising Ways to Bust Out of Your Midlife Funk https://suzyrosenstein.com/midlifefunk
- New email: email@example.com
Enjoy the Show?