What You’ll Learn from this Episode about The Trials and Tribulations of Long-Term Relationships with Dr. Liz Jenkins:
- Why long-term relationships can be full of trials and tribulations as you age.
- Why you can still have success with rapid changes and improvements even decades into your relationship.
- Why some changes in long-term relationships can be made with only one person taking action.
- Why retirement can trigger some relationship challenges to work through.
- Why age gaps can be emphasized later in life.
- How dreaming forward can be inspiring in midlife.
- Why curiosity is important in reconnecting couples who are in long-term relationships.
- How couples can be intentional about reconnecting.
- Why replicating what excited you early in your relationship can help you connect more now.
- Why novelty, fun, and action can help you feel better in your long-term relationship.
- How the myths of long-term relationships can affect your mindset.
- Why the bedroom doesn’t have to close down after a few decades of marriage.
- Why putting manners back into your relationship can really help your connectedness.
- Why your relationship dance is unique and needs to be better understood for reconnection.
- Why reconnection in a long-term relationship is totally possible.
Welcome to another episode of the Women in the Middle Podcast
Today’s episode is all about the trials and tribulations of long-term relationships with Dr. Liz Jenkins. In the 50+ community, some of us have been with the same spouse or partner for several decades and, that may be hard for you to believe! Most people would agree that there are plenty of ups and downs.
My guest today is Dr. Liz Jenkins. She comes to us with over 30 years as a licensed Marriage and Family Therapist. She got her Ph.D. in Psychology from Alliant/US International University in San Diego. She has extensive experience and expertise in working with individuals and couples on a wide range of issues and offers marriage counseling, couples therapy, marriage success coaching, affair prevention and recovery, individual counseling, and more.
Liz has also been the Clinical Director of psychiatric hospital specialty programs such as; Adult Stress, Women’s Issues, and Children’s Issues. She’s been a college instructor in general and social psychology and victimology, as well as a corporate coach and trainer providing on-site and web-based training, workshops, and critical incident debriefings with management and employees around workplace wellness and manager development.
Liz’s goal as a therapist is to assist you in identifying, understanding, and resolving the issues or areas in your life that are not working. Each of us is a unique individual and it is her role to bring the information to you in a way that meets your own style and situation.
She works to demonstrate hope in relationships and helps you see that things do not have to continue the way they are right now. She helps you find ways to help you change and develop better techniques for making good choices and developing life balance. Liz’s passion is to help clients develop more fulfilling relationships with others and with themselves.
I loved having an opportunity to talk to Liz about some of the specific ways that you can help your long-term relationships in midlife overcome some of the bumps in the road.
You’re going to get a lot from this interview. Please enjoy!
Featured in this Episode:
Women in the Middle Podcast Episodes about Midlife “Gray” Divorce: https://suzyrosenstein.com/ep-48-gray-divorce-in-midlife-interview-with-eva-sachs/
Women in the Middle Podcast Episode about exploring food and drink (coffee) together
FREE GUIDE: Top 10 Questions to Reimagine Your Life after 50
Connect with Dr. Liz Jenkins:
FREE: Couples Connection Checklist
Connect with Suzy
NEW PODCAST: Women in the Middle® Entrepreneurs: Are you a 50+ woman business owner or entrepreneur who’s dealing with navigating classic midlife issues that are affecting the way you run your business? We’re looking for interview guests just like you from a wide variety of different businesses! Apply now: www.midlifeinterviews.com
The Women in the Middle® Academy (WITMA): WITMA is my signature six-month, online coaching program and community for midlife women, especially entrepreneurs, who know they’re meant for more, are ready to create a life and career on their own terms and become the happiest, most successful, free and fun version of themselves! This can be you! Don’t waste another second feeling stuck. Head over to www.womeninthemiddleacademy.com and apply and book your free call; it’s a fun, no-obligation “MOMENTUM CALL” and we’ll see how I can help you find what’s missing so that you love your life again.
Apply for Private Coaching: Are you getting a lot from the concepts taught in the podcast? If you want more help, let’s talk. You can have in-depth personalized support! Apply for my personalized coaching program where we take all the things I teach and talk about here and apply them to YOU and your life. CLICK HERE TO APPLY.
Buy Suzy’s book: 50 Ways to Celebrate Life after 50: Get Unstuck, avoid regrets, and live your best life: www.50waystocelebrate.com and Amazon and other online booksellers
Email your feedback: email@example.com
Enjoy the Show?
- Don’t miss an episode, subscribe via iTunes, Stitcher, or RSS and all the places you listen to your favorite podcasts, including Spotify.