What You’ll Learn in this Episode about the Effect of Labels and Asking Yourself the Question, Who Do You Think You Are in Midlife:
- Why being labelled can have a powerful effect in midlife.
- Why labels from your childhood can still affect you in midlife.
- Why it’s common for labels to stick regarding the way you think about yourself for decades.
- How understanding mindfulness and how to think about your thoughts can help you get unstuck.
- Why labels can help you feel stuck and confused about what’s possible.
- How the self-coaching skills are life-changing in midlife and beyond.
Welcome to another episode of the Women in the Middle podcast!
Who do you think you are in midlife? It’s a great question to ask yourself now more than ever. This week’s episode is all about how you may think thoughts that label yourself and how the labels have negative effects that you’re not even aware of.
Midlife women get used to responding to other people’s opinions and limiting beliefs about them. You can learn a skill to help raise your awareness to your habitual pattern and learn how to stop being at the effect of these beliefs.
A lot of time this can show up for you as a “label.” Sometimes you’re labelled by someone else, and sometimes you create a label for yourself. Regardless, labels can feel like truth, but in reality, they end up being interpreted by you and become a thought that you repeat, sometimes for decades. Eventually this thought can become something you believe and affect your life.
Today’s episode helps you understand the importance of watching out for thoughts like this so that you can examine them and make decisions about what to do about actually thinking them in the future.
For example, are you really a lazy person? Or was that a label that someone gave you when you were 10? How did this label affect your life? Do you see that it’s an optional way to think about yourself? Do you notice how you behave as a result of thinking this way?
Your thoughts create the way you feel and ultimately the outcomes in your life. If these outcomes are based on a label that you don’t even understand is optional, you aren’t really living an intentional life. This is quite an empowering skill to develop!
Enjoy this episode!
Featured on the Podcast:
- Ep 156, Finding Joy in the Present Moment with Tom Sterner, Author of the Practicing Mind: https://suzyrosenstein.com/ep-156-finding-joy-in-the-present-moment-with-tom-sterner-author-of-the-practicing-mind/
- Thought Awareness Worksheet: Defunkify your Midlife Mood:https://suzyrosenstein.com/women-in-the-middle/
Connect with Suzy:
- Buy Suzy’s book: 50 Ways to Celebrate Life after 50: Get unstuck, avoid regrets and live your best life: www.50waystocelebrate.com and Amazon
- Join Suzy’s FREE Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/WomenintheMiddlePodcastCommunity
- Download Suzy’s FREE guide: 9 Secrets to get Unstuck in your 50s: https://suzyrosenstein.com/ninesecrets
- Apply for Private Coaching: Are you getting a lot from the concepts taught in the podcast? If you want more help, let’s talk. You can have in depth personalized support! Apply for my personalized coaching program where we take all the things I teach and talk about here and apply them to YOU and your life. CLICK HERE to apply.
- Join The Finally First Club: Finally First is my monthly midlife coaching program where I teach life-changing lessons, help you actually apply the concepts in your everyday life, and am available to mentor and coach you along the way! It’s all of the midlife coaching, community and connection you’ve been looking for, and it’s a fun and comfortable way to get clarity and focus for your next chapter. Join here! iamfinallyfirst.com
Enjoy the Show?
- Don’t miss an episode, subscribe via iTunes, Stitcher , Spotify or RSS and all the places you listen to your favorite podcasts, including Spotify.
- Leave us a review in iTunes