What You’ll Learn from this Episode about the Urge to Compare & Despair:
- Why understanding your urge to compare and despair can help you grow.
- Why comparing yourself to others can create unnecessary negative emotion in midlife.
- The common feelings and experiences created when you engage in “compare and despair”.
- Why it’s common for people to take a break from social media.
- Four ways to handle your own compare and despair cycle to create less pain for yourself.
- Why gratitude can be a highly effective strategy to combat compare and despair.
Welcome to another episode of the Women in the Middle podcast!
Understanding your urge to “compare and despair” is important to grow. Do you “compare and despair?” It can become quite a habit in midlife that doesn’t feel good yet it can feel like quite an urge.
The tendency to engage in comparing yourself to others and then experiencing negative emotion, like despair, envy, insecurity, anger, sadness, etc. can become an unintentional habit.
Like other habits, increased awareness of your thinking can help to break the pattern. However, there’s much to be learned from the experience. For example, your feelings of envy can be quite instructional in terms of your true desires. Likewise, understanding who you’re comparing yourself to and why can also provide insights into what is going on in your mind.
In the end, most would agree that shifting your energy more toward appreciation and gratitude for your improved thought awareness skills and commitment to mindfulness practice will get you farther ahead on the road to becoming the woman you want to be, living midlife on purpose!
Enjoy this episode!
Featured on the Podcast:
Ep 139: Five Ways to Use Envy for Good
Bob Newhart in the Madtv comedy sketch, “Stop It”
Connect with Suzy:
- Join Suzy’s FREE Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/WomenintheMiddlePodcastCommunity
- Download Suzy’s FREE guide: Top 10 Questions to Reimagine your Life after 50: https://suzyrosenstein.com/10questions/
Private Coaching: Are you getting a lot from the concepts taught in the podcast? If you want more help, let’s talk. You can have in depth personalized support! I invite you to apply for my personalized coaching program where we take all the things I teach and talk about about here and apply them to YOU and your life. CLICK HERE to apply.
Check out the Women in the Middle Academy, my new 6 month coaching program where you can get unstuck, get clear and finally feel free! Love your life after 50! Join us! Head over to www.womeninthemiddleacademy.com
- Email your feedback: firstname.lastname@example.org
Enjoy the Show?
- Don’t miss an episode, subscribe via iTunes, Stitcher , Spotify or RSS and all the places you listen to your favorite podcasts, including Spotify.
- Leave us a review in iTunes