What You’ll Learn from this Episode about the book The Practicing Mind with Author Tom Sterner:
- Why the Practicing Mind by Tom Sterner is important for mindfulness in midlife.
- How to enjoy the process of practicing and find joy in the present moment.
- Why the book, The Practicing Mind, will help you manage your mind and find joy.
- How to supervise your mind when it thinks thoughts without your permission.
- Why learning to be in the present moment is a lifetime’s work.
- How being time sensitive in midlife can affect mindfulness practice.
- Why multitasking is not efficient at all.
- Why a 10 minute meditation practice is essential thought awareness training.
Welcome to another episode of the Women in the Middle podcast!
Tom Sterner’s book, The Practicing Mind, is my favorite book to recommend to my clients. Today we’re talking about the importance finding joy in the present moment and developing more thought awareness, especially in midlife.
Our guest today is Thomas M. Sterner, author of the amazing book, The Practicing Mind: Developing Focus and Discipline in Your Life — Master Any Skill or Challenge by Learning to Love the Process. He’s also the founder and CEO of The Practicing Mind Institute and is an expert in Present Moment Functioning.
Prior to founding The Practicing Mind Institute, Tom served as Chief Concert Piano technician for a major performing arts center preparing instruments for the most demanding performances.
During his 25 year career, he worked for industry giants such as Pavarotti, Ray Charles, Fleetwood Mac, Tony Bennett, Wynton Marsalis and many more. He had a unique opportunity to speak with some of the most disciplined minds on how they approached the process of “practicing” and dealing with stress when they needed to focus and perform at their highest level.
Decades of research in Eastern thought, sports psychology and neuroscience combined with hundreds of hours of individual coaching have given him an inspiring and transformative story to tell, one filled with simplicity, practicality and humor. In his down time, he’s an accomplished musician, private pilot, experienced and avid golfer, sailor and target archer.
You’re going to learn so much from this interview. Enjoy!
Featured on the show
Thomas M. Sterner: The Practicing Mind: Developing Focus and Discipline in your Life – Master Any Skill or Challenge by Learning to Love the Process, 2012 https://www.amazon.com/Practicing-Mind-Developing-Discipline-Challenge/dp/1608680908/
Thomas M. Sterner: Fully Engaged: Using the Practicing Mind in Daily Life, 2016 https://www.amazon.com/Fully-Engaged-Using-Practicing-Daily/dp/1608684326/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=fully+engaged&qid=1593712607&sr=8-1
Dave Crenshaw: The Myth of Multitasking: How “Doing It All” Gets Nothing Done, 2008 https://www.amazon.com/Myth-Multitasking-Doing-Gets-Nothing/dp/0470372257/
Connect with Tom Sterner
Connect with Suzy:
New Midlife Training Video: Find out more about how to get unstuck and live your best life “in the middle” at www.midlifevideo.com
The Women in the Middle Academy (WITMA): WITMA is a six-month, online coaching program and community for midlife women who know they’re meant for more and are ready to find what’s missing, create a life and career on their own terms and become the happiest, most free and fun version of themselves! This can be you! Don’t waste another second feeling stuck. Head over to www.womeninthemiddleacademy.com, apply and book your free, no-obligation “MOMENTUM” call and we’ll chat!
Apply for Private Coaching: Are you getting a lot from the concepts taught in the podcast? If you want more help, let’s talk. You can have in-depth personalized support! Apply for my personalized coaching program where we take all the things I teach and talk about here and apply them to YOU and your life. CLICK HERE to apply.
Grab your free guide, Top 10 Questions to Reimagine your Life after 50: https://suzyrosenstein.com/10questions/
- Join Suzy’s FREE Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/WomenintheMiddlePodcastCommunity
- Buy Suzy’s book: 50 Ways to Celebrate Life after 50: Get unstuck, avoid regrets, and live your best life:50waystocelebrate.com and Amazon and other online booksellers
Email your feedback: firstname.lastname@example.org
Enjoy the Show?
- Don’t miss an episode, subscribe via iTunes, Stitcher, or RSS and all the places you listen to your favorite podcasts, including Spotify.