What You’ll Learn from this Episode about the book The Practicing Mind with Author Tom Sterner:
- How to enjoy the process of practicing and find joy in the present moment.
- How to supervise your mind when it thinks thoughts without your permission.
- Why learning to be in the present moment is a lifetime’s work.
- How being time sensitive in midlife can affect mindfulness practice.
- Why multitasking is not efficient at all.
- Why a 10 minute meditation practice is essential thought awareness training.
Welcome to another episode of the Women in the Middle podcast!
Today we’re talking about the importance finding joy in the present moment and developing more thought awareness, especially in midlife.
Our guest today is Thomas M. Sterner, author of the amazing book, The Practicing Mind: Developing Focus and Discipline in Your Life — Master Any Skill or Challenge by Learning to Love the Process. He’s also the founder and CEO of The Practicing Mind Institute and is an expert in Present Moment Functioning.
Prior to founding The Practicing Mind Institute, Tom served as Chief Concert Piano technician for a major performing arts center preparing instruments for the most demanding performances.
During his 25 year career, he worked for industry giants such as Pavarotti, Ray Charles, Fleetwood Mac, Tony Bennett, Wynton Marsalis and many more. He had a unique opportunity to speak with some of the most disciplined minds on how they approached the process of “practicing” and dealing with stress when they needed to focus and perform at their highest level.
Decades of research in Eastern thought, sports psychology and neuroscience combined with hundreds of hours of individual coaching have given him an inspiring and transformative story to tell, one filled with simplicity, practicality and humor. In his down time, he’s an accomplished musician, private pilot, experienced and avid golfer, sailor and target archer.
You’re going to learn so much from this interview. Enjoy!
Featured on the show
Thomas M. Sterner: The Practicing Mind: Developing Focus and Discipline in your Life – Master Any Skill or Challenge by Learning to Love the Process, 2012 https://www.amazon.com/Practicing-Mind-Developing-Discipline-Challenge/dp/1608680908/
Thomas M. Sterner: Fully Engaged: Using the Practicing Mind in Daily Life, 2016 https://www.amazon.com/Fully-Engaged-Using-Practicing-Daily/dp/1608684326/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=fully+engaged&qid=1593712607&sr=8-1
Dave Crenshaw: The Myth of Multitasking: How “Doing It All” Gets Nothing Done, 2008 https://www.amazon.com/Myth-Multitasking-Doing-Gets-Nothing/dp/0470372257/
Connect with Tom Sterner
Connect with Suzy:
- Buy Suzy’s book: 50 Ways to Celebrate Life after 50: Get unstuck, avoid regrets and live your best life: www.50waystocelebrate.com and Amazon
- Join Suzy’s FREE Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/WomenintheMiddlePodcastCommunity
- Download Suzy’s FREE guide: 9 Secrets to get Unstuck in your 50s: https://suzyrosenstein.com/ninesecrets
- Apply for Private Coaching: Are you getting a lot from the concepts taught in the podcast? If you want more help, let’s talk. You can have in-depth, personalized support! Apply for coaching! We’ll take all the things I teach and talk about here and apply them to YOU and your life so you can get unstuck, get clear and love your next chapter. CLICK HERE to apply.
- Join The Finally First Club: Finally First is my monthly midlife coaching program where I teach life-changing lessons, help you actually apply the concepts in your everyday life, and am available to mentor and coach you along the way! It’s all of the midlife coaching, community and connection you’ve been looking for, and it’s a fun and comfortable way to get clarity and focus for your next chapter. Join here! iamfinallyfirst.com
- Email us at email@example.com
Enjoy the Show?
- Don’t miss an episode, subscribe via iTunes, Stitcher , Spotify or RSS and all the places you listen to your favorite podcasts, including Spotify.
- Leave us a review in iTunes