What You’ll Learn from this Episode about when your Parent has Alzheimer’s or Dementia:
- How common it is for midlife women to be dealing with Alzheimer’s and/or Dementia at this time of life.
- Why it’s sometimes so hard to see the symptoms when you’re slow close to the situation.
- How being more curious can be one of the best ways to help you and your family cope better.
- How Speech Language Assessment and Therapy can really help with the symptoms and can also really help the families.
Welcome to another episode of the Women in the Middle podcast!
My guest today has a unique approach for Alzheimer’s and Dementia treatment. As a Speech Language Pathologist, Heather Negin unknowingly had a special set of skills and insights to bring to her personal situation with her parents. This insight has shaped her career and she’s never looked back.
As you know, we’re inundated with negative messages about adult onset cognitive decline, Alzheimer’s and Dementia, and caregiving responsibilities. And, it’s totally a midlife thing. As daughters, it’s super common to be dealing with this with our parents and others we love at this age and stage of life.
This is what happened with Heather. When her mother was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s, Heather was as overwhelmed as anyone else would be. Slowly, however, she realized that using her training to be more curious could actually help her and help many other families as well.
Heather thinks of her professional self as a specialist of messages IN and messages OUT; she has a keen ability to focus on the disruption in between. She uses Communication Focused Assessment and Therapy to help those with Alzheimer’s and dementia symptoms and disruptions, and their families.
For sure, this diagnosis can be overwhelming and stressful. The right approach can uncover potential, guide you with empowering choices, and deliver successful results to improve your day and lighten your load. It turns out that Speech Language assessment and therapy can really help with the symptoms and can also really help the families.
Don’t miss this episode!
Featured on the Show:
- Connect with Heather Negin, SLP http://communicationtherapyforadults.com/
Connect with Suzy:
- Join Suzy’s FREE Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/WomenintheMiddlePodcastCommunity
- Download Suzy’s FREE guide: 9 Secrets to get Unstuck in your 50s: https://suzyrosenstein.com/ninesecrets
- Apply for Private Coaching: Are you getting a lot from the concepts taught in the podcast? If you want more help, let’s talk. You can have in depth personalized support! Apply for my personalized coaching program where we take all the things I teach and talk about here and apply them to YOU and your life. CLICK HERE to apply.
- Join the Finally First Club! Finally First is my monthly midlife coaching program where I teach life-changing lessons, help you actually apply the concepts in your everyday life, and am available to mentor and coach you along the way! It’s a fun and comfortable way to get clarity and focus for your next chapter. www.iamfinallyfirst.com
- Email your feedback: firstname.lastname@example.org
Enjoy the Show?
- Don’t miss an episode, subscribe via iTunes, Stitcher , Spotify or RSS and all the places you listen to your favorite podcasts, including Spotify.
- Leave us a review in iTunes