Do you love your life at this point in your life, over 50? I’ve started to think about this age and stage of midlife as being a WOMAN IN THE MIDDLE.
Now, we all know that a certain age in midlife isn’t necessarily the “middle” of your life.
We have no clue how long we will live, so we never really know when the middle is, lol.
There are some pretty consistent things happening in the middle age and stage.
How many of these midlife situations resonate with you?
- in the middle of having kids and having grandchildren
- in the middle of having parents who don’t need help and having parents who do need help
- in the middle of a career that may not be satisfying anymore
- in the middle of looking youthful and having an appearance that’s changing
- in the middle of dealing with perimenopause or menopause
- in the middle of learning to deal with kids who want more independence
- in the middle of preparing and dealing with empty nest
- in the middle of working and getting closer to retirement
- in the middle of milestone birthdays that are scary
- in the middle of just not believing you’re as old as you are
Being a woman in the middle can be a challenging time in your life.
You may find yourself thinking thoughts like these:
“I’m too old to try something new.”
“I don’t know who I am now that my kids moved out.”
“I’m so stuck; I have no clue what I want to do.”
“I feel like I’m meant to do more. I’m so frustrated that I can’t figure it out.”
“I feel like life’s passing me by.”
Ladies, I hear you! I’m a woman in the middle too.
In fact, the most intense year of being in the middle for me was the year I turned 50. So many things happened!
- I got laid off.
- My dog died.
- My eldest left for university.
- And, as I mentioned, I had a milestone birthday.
But guess what else happened?
- I challenged myself to figure out what I wanted to do next.
- I learned to cope with the independence issues associated with my kid at college.
- I trained for my next career.
- I started to dream again and made some cool plans.
- I celebrated my 50th birthday exactly the way I wanted to, and loved every minute!
As cliche as it sounds, age really is just a number.
It’s what we make that number mean that’s a problem.
In fact, I would suggest that our problems come from our thinking. It really all starts there.
We look for evidence to prove our thoughts, so if you think you’re old, you look for ways to prove that you’re old.
If you think that being laid off is the worst thing in the world, you will find ways to prove that no good will come of your situation.
Your results prove your thoughts.
So good to know, right?
This also means you have more power than you think.
THIS IS MY FAVORITE THING ABOUT MY CAREER AS A LIFE COACH – showing and teaching you how to change your perspective to create the results you want, on purpose.
And that, my friends, is why I’m launching a podcast called WOMEN IN THE MIDDLE: LOVING LIFE AFTER 50!
Life in your 50s doesn’t have to be about watching your life pass you by.
You don’t have to feel stagnant and fearful of regrets.
It’s your time to re-learn how to put yourself first again and satisfy your need to grow, to embrace your power to create a life that you love.
The Women in the Middle Podcast is all about how you can learn the skills and tools that will help you love your life and live intentionally.